MGTK Visa Processing Team will help you:

  • Determine appropriate type of visa for you

  • Process all required documents from the Directorate General of Immigration

  • Process all required documents from the Ministry of Manpower and Transmigration

Different types of Visas in Indonesia


Any foreign citizen who wants to stay or work in Indonesia for extended amounts of time will need to get a KITAS. A KITAS is an Indonesian government permit that allows foreign nationals to work or stay in Indonesia legally.

There are three main types of KITAS or limited stay permit in Indonesia, depending on the activities that you want to do. These are:

  • A working visa or work permit for workers,

  • A dependent visa for spouses and children, and

  • A retirement visa for retirees.

If you already have a company that is capable of sponsoring you, then you can arrange a work permit ("IMTA") and residence visa ("KITAS") that will enable you to work legally.

To get a working KITAS, you’ll need a sponsorship from a company or an organization registered in Indonesia. These companies can include:

  • An Indonesian-owned company (PT PMDN),

  • A foreign-owned company (PT PMA),

  • A representative office, or

  • A foundation.

The residence visa and work permit is valid for a period of one year, depending upon the nature of the employment, and can be extended for four times.

Business Visa

Foreign entrepreneurs in Indonesia can apply for a business visa. With a business visa, entrepreneurs can come to Indonesia to conduct business activities and study the market, but employment is not allowed. Applying for a business visa is much easier than for a work permit.

A business visa in Indonesia is valid for one year, and it allows a foreigner to stay in Indonesia for up to 60 days per visit. Therefore, a business visa is perfect for frequent visitors.


The visa enables up to 60 days of stay with each arrival. The key benefit is that you can use the same visa unlimited times to arrive in the country. You do not have to extend the business visa at immigration as you would for visa on arrival or the social visa.

All business visas must be sponsored by a legal entity registered in Indonesia. Foreign and locally owned companies, as well as representative offices, can act as sponsor.


Unlike any other visa in Indonesia, the KITAP is valid for five years, and if after five years there are no changes to the status of the expat, the visa is extended automatically. The only thing you need to do is apply for a new card.


A permanent residence visa means no more annual trips to the immigration (as in the case of KITAS), no more costly visa extensions, and no more piles of paperwork. You can only apply for a KITAP once you have gone through the process of getting a KITAS (limited stay permit) and having extended this visa multiple times.

The only eligible candidates to get a KITAP are:

  • Foreigners with an Indonesian spouse

  • Foreign investors, directors or commissioners in an Indonesian Company (PT PMA)

  • Foreigners wanting to retire in Indonesia

  • Indonesians regaining their citizenship

Foreigners legally married to an Indonesian can convert their KITAS into a KITAP after two years of marriage and your spouse will be the sponsor. You cannot apply for the permanent visa if you haven’t had a KITAS first. The marriage itself doesn’t make you eligible to get the permanent stay permit. If your marriage has lasted ten years or more, your KITAP will be for life, also in case of divorce. Also with a spouse-sponsored KITAP, you have the right to work in Indonesia under certain conditions.

Foreign investors, directors and commissioners working in an Indonesian Company can apply for the KITAP once they have been working with the same Indonesian company for four years in a row in the same position.

Retirees can apply for a KITAP once they reach 55 years of age, after four extensions of their KITAS.

Would you like to know more? Feel free to ask us.

Lantai 3, Jl. Panjang No.36, Jakarta Barat 11530, Indonesia

©2020 Copyright the MGTK. No material from this site may be reproduced without permission